Handicraft villages were created through decree No 2013/0009/PM of 07 January 2013. So far there exist an International Handicraft Centre located in Yaounde at the intendance round about beside the Yaounde Central Market, 09 Regional Handicraft Villages and 02 Special Handicraft Villages. The table below presents the various villages.
** Table of handicraft villages
|1||Yaounde International Handicraft Centre||Intendance Round about, beside the Yaounde Central Market.||M. ALOMA Martin Bienvenu||699708371
|2||Bamenda Regional Handicraft Village||Mile four Nkwen, Bamenda III Sub Division||Mr. KIMBI Tashing Ngwang||677885626|
|3||Bafoussam Regional Handicraft Village||Toket quarter, Bafoussam I Sub Division||M. NANA Eddy Merlin||675647869|
|4||Bertoua Regional Handicraft Village||KOUME quarter, Bertoua I Sub Division||Nandanga Céline||671004596|
|5||Douala Regional Handicraft Village||Yassa, Douala III Sub Division||Mr. MPOMANG NDONGO Florentin||673160962
|6||Ebolowa Regional Handicraft Village||Situated at round point ELAT Ebolowa I Sub Division||ABANDA ESSAMA Adolphe||677140012
|7||Garoua Regional Handicraft Village||Roumdé Adjia quarter, Garoua II Sub Division.||Ousman Mohaman||677652577
|8||Maroua Regional Handicraft Village||Situated at Para quarter, Maroua I Sub Division||Monsieur Ousmanou Garba||696852039
|9||Ngaoundéré Regional Handicraft Village||Mardock quarter, Ngaoundéré II Sub Division||M. Maigari Warda||694441784
|10||Limbe Regional Handicraft Village||Mile 4, Limbe I Sub Division||Madam Shirley AYUK OBI||651321940|
|11||Foumban Special Handicraft Village||Located at Mbouogam Ndineké, Foumban Sub Division||Mountapmbémo Abel Jaurés||699692931
|12||Mbalmayo Special Handicraft Village||Ngallan quarter, Nyong et SO’O Division||Joanna Arlette Obama Ngamougou||696543211
** The activities of the handicraft villages
- Handicraft villages are responsible for collective activities relating to:
- Development of craftspeople know-how;
- Designing catalogues of best craft products;
- Improve on the quality, performance and productivity of craftspeople lodged in the handicraft villages;
- Identify new technologies that could help craftspeople improve on their job;
- Search for information relating to the supply of raw materials for the production of craft products;
- Set up and partition shops according to the sectors of activities of craft persons;
- Organization of competitions for craft works and promotional sales of craft products;
- Identification and selection of training partners;
- Identification and supervision of craftspeople dealing with products of high potentials.
** The role of Handicraft villages
- The reception and orientation of the general public;
- The training of crafts persons and Professional Organizations of Craftspeople;
- The production of handicraft products;
- The exposition of handicraft products;
- The promotion and commercialization of handicraft products.
The specificity of each village depends on the type of products manufactured in the areas. This can also be linked to cultural and traditional ties.
** Their vitality and contributions to the development of the country
- Identify and bring out the talents of young craftspeople through the little activities they operate;
- Enable craftspeople to gain more visibility and exposure;
- Generate non tax revenues which could be inserted in the budget in subsequent years.